Sunday, June 14, 2015

Bake Oven Knob: Day 9 (14-June-2015)


This was the last day for me cleaning up Bake Oven Knob this year. Three more bags of plastics, a backpack full of cans and a bunch of non-recyclables. 


The plan for today was to work on cleaning up at the bottom while the groups above worked on painting over graffiti. It did not work out that way however. I wasn't given a specific time, just a date, and I thought it would be done in the morning to make sure the paint was dry in case we had afternoon thundershowers. I got to the parking lot around 8:30, found the sign, but no people, so I just went for it.


Greeted by the same multicolored view, I was a little happy that something was going to be done about it. 


Found the find of the day not long after I started collecting. I should have some sort of comment for this, but I spent a lot of time out in the sun.


Sorry the photo is blurry. After climbing up the side I was not really paying much attention and the lens was fogged. After I took this first round out, I met another gentlemen cleaning up around the top. He had a good amount for the trail side. I do not recall his name, but he is another that cleans this stretch up regularly.


I found this little American Toad on the way out for the second round. Please remember, you are walking into someone else's home. Please respect and watch out for those who live there. 


The second round of trash was not fun or easy to get up to the top. Only one bag of plastics and the rest were none recyclables which were awkward to carry. In total, three camp chairs, one VCR, a basketball, the giant styrofoam plane I had photographed before, styrofoam cooler parts and of course, more spray paint cans. 


When I got back to the parking lot the painting group was just getting together. WCO Halbforester led the group and did a small talk before they headed out. He also had ice cold water for me, which by that point, was about the best thing imaginable. I was very pleased with what he had to say to the group. Some of the things I wanted to see done there are happening and he will be patrolling the area much more frequently.


I would like to say that I hear a lot of negative comments about both Game Commission and Fish and Boat, when I talk to people about related subjects. From what I know and what I hear a lot of people are misinformed about these agencies. I suggest if you don't know too much about these agencies, do a little research, I think you will find it interesting. As for the WCOs, projects like this tell me that the individual officers care and not only about the wildlife, but about the people who go to view nature with respect. I know several WCOs in both the Game Commission and Fish and Boat, I have nothing bad to say about any of them. All of them are very strict with the law, but as long as you follow it, they treat you with respect. 

As for Bake Oven Knob, I will probably do another clean up next year there, but the vast majority of trash has been removed from the bottom. I will try to get back up there this week to check out how the painting turned out and possible to get some after photos of the bottom. The problem is everything is grown in now with a lot more green.  

Thank you to all of the volunteers that were out there today! Not enough people show that they care anymore, you did and I personally appreciate that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment