Thursday, June 25, 2015

Fire Tower Road: Day 3 (25-June-2015)


When I started out today I thought it was going to be miserably hot. Instead, I got a nice surprise and the sky clouded over before I arrived at the site. I really wanted to finish this project today and I set out to do just that. 



After removing the first wheel barrow, I believed it would take two days to get done. After the second, I still thought I had a lot left to do. By the third, the pile was really down. The fourth wheel barrow did it and I was beyond pleased.


I did discover what all the insulation was about. I thought that at least some of it was copper wire housings and this piece was the only bit left uncut. If you are unaware, you can sell copper, just like this with the insulation still on it. You do not get as much money for it, but you don't have to go through all of the work of cutting it out and you then don't have anything to dispose of.


Now this puzzled me. The amount of work that went into this whole process of cutting these wires and stripping them out must have been enormous. The metal in this casing is probably aluminum and there were more of these casings than anything else. As you got to see in my last post, aluminum doesn't sell for all that much. Whoever did this needed a large truck to dump this, then they had to take the recyclables they stripped out to a recycling center. From the type of metals they stripped out and the amount of casings I removed, I don't think the person who did this made much money at all. It makes no sense to me.


Then I found this underneath the pile. It was a good bit of the stripped out aluminum all balled up. So, these people took the time to do all of this work and then left a good portion of what they wanted behind in their dump pile. There were also crushed metal bowls and other metal pieces. Even found a nice chunk of copper. 


They also left their blades behind for their sawzall. That is more money left behind. Also, these blades still had good cutting edges and were strait. At this point they were really rusted together and of no use, but when they were thrown in there I would say they were still good. 



This is the before and after just from today. I will try to put up another post tomorrow with the before and after from the beginning of the project. I do still need to go back one more time after the vernal pool dries out and see if I missed anything on the bottom. There was a huge tarp below all of the insulators and with the way I removed it I believe I got almost everything. 



After the third trip out I took a moment to photograph some butterflies. 


This is a Pickeral Frog (Lithobates paulustris) and I was happy to see it in the pool. Adults are generally found around streams and moving water. The juveniles seem to travel a small bit from streams to shallow wet areas or pools like this. These areas are probably a safer environment than a stream bank and may also provide better food sources.  

For the most part I did finish this project today. I do need to do one more pick through when it dries out, but that will be a long time from now. I know if there is anything left, it is very little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment