Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Fire Tower Road: Day 1 (10-June-2015)


Fire Tower Road is located in Blythe Township, Schuylkill County, PA. The property that I found this dumpsite on is owned by the township and the property borders Locust Lake State Park. It offers a nice area for hiking and hunting. The sad thing is there seems to be a lot of people who use it as a trash dump. Most trash is dumped in the parking area, but the site I am working on is a short hike down the trail.   


I can't imagine someone driving through this area, seeing how nice it is and just emptying their refuse off the side of the trail. I guess that's just how people are though. I clean up cans and bottles on this access road on a regular basis and for years now I have passed the pile of rubber tubes I am working on getting out of there now.


I really thought this was going to be a much easier clean up than it seems it is going to be. I took out what is in the top photo today and it doesn't even look like I made a dent. I bought the highest strength bags I could find and they aren't going to cut it. One bag ripped on the way out and had to re-bag the contents, so tomorrow I am going to try something else. Instead of hauling bags out I am going to line the back of my car with a tarp, take a wheel barrel with me and fill the back of my car with the loose rubber. Thankfully, Locust Lake State Park has given me permission to use their dumpsters. If they hadn't this pile would most likely sit there for many more years to come. My goal is to try to remove the rest by Friday, but I don't know if I will be able to do it by then. This stuff is heavy and the next couple days are supposed to be hot ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment