Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Lehigh River (17-June-2015)


Not a very big haul today, but almost a full bag of plastic bottles and aluminum cans. Today I walked the bank of the Lehigh River in Glen Onoco, part of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. I have combed this area many times before for cans and there always seems to be more. A lot of the ones I find in this area are older and filled with sediment, which has to be cleaned out before recycling.


This type of trash collecting is a little bit more time consuming, the trash is scattered throughout the flood plain areas. Most of it is from upstream and this is just where it has come to settle after a high water event.


If anyone can come up with places for me to take tires, I will be able to get a lot more accomplished. Tires are dumped everywhere and there are a lot of sites I would like to remove them from. The main problem is no one wants them unless you pay them to take them. 


Best trash find of the day! Don't know how old it is, but it doesn't look too new. 


This was the best trash find of the day, until I found the fire truck. This came not from the shore, but in the river. Definitely not the right place for it.


I heard some yelling while collecting, so I headed for the rivers edge. The yelling had stopped by the time I arrived, but I did find its source. I just started shaking my head when I saw it. If you are in the gorge in a boat or on an inner tube, you should be wearing a personal floatation device. These individuals were not, the one in the kayak clearly capsized and at that point they should have exited the river. I watched them walk about a half mile like this in waist to chest deep water and both fell several times. Rivers can kill, even the Lehigh and the water in this picture is deep and moving fast enough to do just that. Enjoy the rivers, but respect them and use the proper safety equipment and the proper boats to do so.  


No comments:

Post a Comment