Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mt. Pisgah and Mauch Chunk Lake (3-June-2015)


This morning I hiked to the top of Mt. Pisgah in Jim Thorpe. The lookout at the top seems to be a local party site and I have cleaned it up before. To my surprise this time there was a trash can filled to the brim and not much just lying around. Now there is no road access to the top, there are ATV trails that run throughout the area, but no larger vehicles can get up there. So, my question is who empties this can? Today I did, but I can't imagine it being taken care of on a regular basis. My guess is that a party goer in the future will throw the whole can and contents over the rock face like the one I found at the bottom of Bake Oven Knob. 


This wood pile was also left by someone. In this area I have found lots of piles like this next to campfires. What I would like to point out to everyone who reads this is that most of this wood is treated. Especially if the wood is older, it is not wise to burn for a campfire. The chemical mixtures used in treating wood are not good to breath in when they become airborne and they do just that when the wood is burned. 


This was the view from the top today.


This is one piece of trash I will never be able to take out of the woods. Penny wanted to ride it back down the mountain.



This afternoon I took Penny home, grabbed my kayak and headed to Mauch Chunk Lake. I paddled the shorelines and this is what I was able to get. I didn't make it around the entire lake, so there is a lot more shoreline to do there. Most of the cans were from the late 80's to early 90's, it surprises me every time I find stuff like this. This means that no one has done a cleanup of the shallow waters here since then.


It was a nice day to be out on the lake.



Looks a little bit better.


This Bald Eagle was a great subject today and waited until I could paddle across the lake and get a better shot of it. It never did fly off and I was able to get pretty close.

No comments:

Post a Comment