Thursday, June 11, 2015

Fire Tower Road: Day 2 (11-June-2015)


Took out a full car load today. Still wondering what these are from. It had to have been insulated pipe or wire. The way they are cut something was taken out of them. I really wish these could be recycled. They don't look like they are ever going to biodegrade. 




The wheelbarrow helped a lot today. The trail is pretty smooth with the exception of a couple washouts. It took four trips to fill the car and I only tipped the wheelbarrow once on one of the washouts. It was so much easier than yesterday. I will not be going back to this site without the wheelbarrow.


I don't think I will ever comprehend why this stuff was taken as far in as it was. The walk is still nice with or without the wheelbarrow. 


It looks like I put a fairly big dent in the pile. I am estimating two more car loads and it will be done. 


I would like to point out that these rubber strips were placed in a depression off of the trail. When it rains this depression fills with water. By definition this area is a vernal pool. Vernal pools are awesome sites for amphibians and a variety of insect species. As a result of being temporary, you generally won't find large aquatic predators in them. Therefore Amphibians and aquatic insects can reproduce in these areas giving their offspring a safer start to life. I checked out the back end of the pool today to see if I could find anything living in or around it.


The only movement I found around the pond was this dragonfly which was interested in this birch log and kept coming back and landing on it. The lack of life in this pool could just be because the depression is not deep enough and the pool does not hold water for a long enough period or it could possibly be a result of something in the rubber tubing. Although possible, it is probably not the later. 


My car with a wheelbarrow hat. This honestly isn't the most ridiculous thing I have strapped to the top of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment