Sunday, June 7, 2015

Perkiomen Creek Sojourn: Preliminary Run (5-June-2015)


This past Friday I took a paddle down the Perkiomen Creek. Saturday the Perkiomen Watershed Conservancy was running a sojourn and I was one of the guides. Creeks and rivers are ever changing, so before any trip it is good to have someone run the route to make sure there are no hang ups and to plan the best possible route. 


I set out in the afternoon and it was a beautiful day. Sunny, but not too hot and the water levels were low, yet still deep enough to get through most areas easily. 


This Northern Water Snake was the first animal I came across. This individual was not bothered at all by me paddling by and didn't move at all as I passed. 


Three Whitetail deer decided to go for a swim in one of the deeper sections at the start of the trip.


This male Painted Turtle was not quick enough and was caught for a shot. The sex of painted turtles can be easily distinguished by the size of the turtles front claws. Males have long front claws, females generally tend to have short ones. 


This water wheel still sits on the first dam on this section of creek. The dam is blown out in the middle and the wheel has not been functional for some time.


A lot of calm water.


Lots of painted turtles were sitting out basking. Almost every downed tree or log in the river in the sun had at least one on it.





This fawn seemed to be a little curious. It lifted its head and watched me as I drifted by.



One really nice thing was that there was not much trash. I did clean up most of what I could see.


At this point I ended up backtracking a little bit and taking another channel to see if there was a better way to make it around.


This mink wasn't bothered at all with me being there. It came running down the bank and jumped in the water in front of me. It stayed under water much longer than I expected it could and I snapped this shot when it re-emerged and ran back up the bank with a crayfish in its mouth.


This is the main reason to run a creek or river ahead of a trip. This channel was the best way around an island as far as depth, but a blockage like this could cause serious trouble with a group.





Another Northern Water Snake.


This little Red-Eared Slider is a non-native species here in Pennsylvania. It shows that these released turtles are breeding in our waterways. I collected two small sliders on this trip and found them new homes. I would like to point out it is illegal to release any reptiles or amphibians in this state. This species does make life a little bit harder for native species like painted turtles. The more Red-Eared Sliders there are in our waterways the more painted turtles have to compete for resources like basking areas and food.


Great Blue Heron in flight. There were many Great Blues on this section. None wanted to stick around for a photo.


This is some sort of old factory. It looks abandoned, yet isn't in that bad of shape.




A small construction project blocked the right side of the creek.


Up another stream to the take out point.


Finished at Hoy Park. The whole trip only took around 3 hours. It was an extremely nice paddle and it was good to see the amount of wildlife I came across on the trip.


This was it as far as trash. Not much, but still got some out of there!

No comments:

Post a Comment