Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Herpetological Clean-Up (23-Aug-2016)


For this post I am leaving the trash photos out of it. We did collect over a pack full of recyclable items, but if you read this blog you are probably sick of all of the trash. I know I am and I thought this would be a nice break. Jeffrey Greco was along with me for a clean-up and reptile hike. He was the one who had let me know about the Ibis and because of him I was able to see a new bird species. So my goal for this trip was to show him a new herp species. Above is a yellow phase Timber Rattlesnake and was one of the species Jeff had never seen before. 


In Eastern Pennsylvania, we only have two venomous species of snakes. The Timber Rattlesnake (Photo Above) and the Northern Copperhead (Photos Below). These snakes are not something to be feared. They should be respected and given distance when you come across them in the wild. Both are a protected species in Pennsylvania and it is unlawful to kill or collect either without special permits. These snakes play an important role in our forested ecosystems and should be left to do their job. Please if you come across either in the wild, give them the respect they deserve, keep you distance and do not harm these magnificent creatures. 


Very often people confuse Northern Watersnakes with Copperheads. When you take a good look at them though, they look nothing alike and most of the time you will not find the two species in the same habitats. Both of the snakes above are Northern Copperheads. 


We found this Eastern Rat Snake in a tree just below eye level. I am not sure if it was hunting or basking, it did seem content though. Eastern Rat Snakes are our longest snake here in PA. I have seen many over six feet in length and although very rare can exceed nine feet. As this one is demonstrating Rat Snakes are good at climbing, this one isn't the first I have seen in a tree this year.

On our hike we also got to see a Black Racer. This was Jeff's second new species. The Racer did not stick around for photographs.

I hope you enjoyed this post without any trash photos. If you ever have any questions about Reptiles or Amphibians in PA feel free to e-mail me at jrb2765@gmail.com. I do not give out locations of where these critters are found, but would be happy to answer questions on identification or behaviors. If you would like to learn more on your own the best field guides that I have found are Peterson and Audubon.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment