Thursday, August 18, 2016

Delaware River (18-Aug-2016)


Took more time off than I had planned from Taking Out the Trash. I needed the break though and some of the days this past week were too hot to be out doing a clean-up. Today I got back out and headed down to the Delaware in Raubsville. This section of river was covered in the NCJCS clean-up, but you can always find more, especially when walking the bank. My objective for the day was to work on Raub's Island, I ended up starting on the bank before heading out there. 


One of the first items found. A river beer. I didn't want this to break open in my recycling bag or car, it was immediately opened and poured out. 


Along the bank there were several spots were there were multiple cans and lots of plastic bags along the shore and in the water. The plastic bag above is a normal size trash bag slightly floating in the water. Several chicken liver containers with contents still inside were also found in this section. Was not pleased with those.    


Took a different trail up the bank than I took down. This took me right back to my car so I dropped off the recycling and deposited the non-recyclables in the trash. 


This was everything from round one. After these items were disposed of, it was off to the island. 


Found a few more items on the bank before heading across the channel. On the right is a nifty bellows pump, I think this is my first find of one of those.  


Gas cans are a somewhat common find on the Delaware. Not often are they found in this condition. 


Other than the heat this was a beautiful day to be out cleaning up the river. 


Between some branches I spotted this. At first I could only see a small portion of it and I thought it was going to be a lawn chair. It was a surprise when I moved a branch to see it was a toilet seat. The seat and the beer can next to it were both removed. The blue item to the upper right is and article of clothing. I often find clothing on riverbanks, much of the time if the items have been there for awhile they are worked into the bank and are not easily removed. I often don't even try to get these items if they look half buried. I left this one and several others I passed further down the bank. 


Penny was along on this one and we took several breaks so she could take a dip in the river. They were nice cool downs for both of us. 


The majority of recyclables taken off the island were removed from debris piles. I was extremely cautious when removing these items. At this time of year, in addition to the nails, syringes and other poking items that are can always be found in these piles there could also be large paper wasp nests. I have to move slow on these piles and the last thing I'd want to do is to disturb one of these nests. It wouldn't be safe to get away from it quickly and I would just have to take the stings. Remember this and if you do clean-ups, leave the debris piles for those who have been doing this for awhile. 


Some items were too large or heavy for me to remove on foot. Both of these items could easily be taken out by canoe. I don't know of any takeouts further down river with trash cans or dumpsters though. 


Two large plastic items. Both of similar color I didn't know it was two separate items until I pulled them both out. 


All of this came from debris piles around the same area. After I bagged the small items up I left one bag and the large plastic items behind and walked a little further down the bank. I picked through one more small debris pile and decided it was going to be difficult enough to get everything I already had back. So, I headed back on up the bank picked the above items up and headed back to the car. 


It was not easy walking with all of this stuff and a leashed Penny. 


This was everything from the second round. Threw out the non-recyclables in trash cans near the parking area and packed the recyclables in my car. Had it been a little cooler today I may have done a third round on the island or at another location along the river. It was just too hot though.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment