Thursday, August 4, 2016

Lehigh Canal: Weissport (3-Aug-2016)


Put on the Lehigh Canal in Weissport, the idea was to take the canal until it ends and then cross over to the river and come back. The trip did involve both the canal and the river, not exactly how I had hoped. The trash collecting started immediately and it looked like the canal needed a good cleaning. 


Some of the first items pulled from the canal water. The instant cleaner was nearly full. Not sure what the contents consist of, but it probably isn't something we want in our environment. The nasal 
 spray was something new and I didn't find just one. Three in total and I found that to be extremely odd.


In the first section of the canal the number one item was plastic bags. A good number of which were bread bags. This part of the canal is a place where people commonly feed ducks. That I think is a good possibility of where all the bread bags come from. 


For me this was the saddest sight I have ever come across on a clean-up. This Stinkpot has been deceased for some time. I can't even imagine what this turtle went through hanging there. I could think of a couple ways this could have happened, but in any case this death is a result of a human leaving something that doesn't belong in the environment. 


This portion of the canal has more than one old lock and several earthen dams along it. The old locks themselves have been turned into dams and no longer function and the earthen dams look like they were put in for vehicle access to the canal path. At these points I had to portage around to get to one section from another. If you want to paddle the canal, but you don't want to carry your boat, this section isn't for you and the take outs aren't easy either. 


Pair of sunglasses out of the canal, this may or may not be a first for me. 


This was the start on the third section of canal. The second was very short and didn't have many interesting things other than the sunglasses above. 


At first look I did not know if I was going to be able to remove this cone. To my surprise it didn't take much effort to get it out of there. 


I did not have the same kind of luck with the blue seat to the left. It was and still is wedged into the mud good. I have nowhere to go with tires at this location, so I didn't even try with those.


This was the most foul item of the trip. I don't know if it is milk or formula, whatever it is, it does not age well. Every once in awhile for the entirety of the trip the smell would hit me, it was not pleasant in the least. 


I have found fake soda cans like this before. This was the first Coke one though. 


Not too much wildlife out and about. These painted turtles were just about it other than fish in the canal.


On the canals edge I did get a nice surprise though. This is a Spread-Winged Damselfly. Most Damselflies at rest, will hold their wings above there body. This kind of Damselfly holds its wings out when resting, similar to a Dragonfly. 



Some trash on the edges and tires every so often. The majority of newer trash items got less and less as I got further out, which is always expected. 


This is where I decided to turn around. There is another section of canal past this old lock, but I had a good amount of trash and I was not feeling up to another portage. There was also no easy access down to the river at this point and I had too much trash to feel comfortable on it....


Well... at my first portage on the way back I glanced across the river and noticed a part sight. I left my bag of trash and the road cone by the canal and made my way down to the river. Not sure where the energy came from, but I made it happen and I paddled across.


I cleaned the fire pit out as best I could, grabbed the monkey out of the tree and then did a sweep of the bank. Out of frame to the right there was a number of washed up items. 


Those washed up items included this syringe. This is the farthest up on the Lehigh I have found one. Always watch your step and know things like this are out there. 


With a bag just about full I paddled back and had a bit of a climb up to the canal. Before I was able to put the kayak back on the canal I had several people stop and asked me what I was doing. I explained and one informed me that they spotted a syringe on a lily pad next to the parking lot. 


They gave me an excellent description of where it was and when I got back I found it and picked up the second syringe of the day. 


This is what I paddled back with on the canal. The back hull is also full of recyclables. 


This was the full haul, monkey and all. Talked to a few more people in the parking lot, one of which works for the local township or borough and he took the trash for me. Didn't even have to walk it to the can. I thought that was great and thanked him. The canal still needs a lot of work and there is a whole section I didn't get to. The river through this area too needs some help. I will try to get back there soon. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment