Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Moon Lake Park (6-Aug-2016)


For this clean-up I went to the former Moon Lake Park in Luzerne County. Very recently this area which was a county park was handed over to the DCNR Bureau of Forestry. The park in the past offered camping, a pool and boat rentals. These things are no more, the camping sites, pool and boat house still stand, but stand empty. The fields once regularly mowed are now left to grow and to me the area now looks awesome. I took a drive around before getting out to do a clean-up and it is astonishing how much has changed in just a year when everything is just left alone. I then headed to the lake for the clean-up and as soon as I stepped out of my car the skies clouded up and rain came down hard. I took shelter in a pavilion by the lake and waited it out. The rain did not let up for about a half hour.


When the rain did finally pass, it went from nice and cool to extremely hot immediately. I started my way around the lake and it didn't take long to start accumulating trash. 


 At the easy access spots around the lake there was a lot of fishing trash. Mostly bait containers, some fishing line and a few lures. 


This was all from near a single picnic table. Because this is now state forest land there are no more trash cans around the lake and some even use it as an excuse to litter. However, the DCNR Bureau of forestry does not have the resources to maintain trash cans at all of their state forest lands. Please use the practice of carrying out everything you carry in on these lands. In most of these places there is no one to clean up after those who do choose to litter.   


There certainly were beautiful views after the storm had passed. 


Egrets are not that common at most of the locations I do clean-ups. This was the closest I could get to this lone individual which was hanging out in the lilies on the far end of the lake from the boat launch. 


On the back end of the lake there are no more than wildlife trails. It is not easy to navigate and I would suggest if you visit Moon Lake, do not try to make your own way around the lake. There was a lot of trash washed up on the back end. There were also many mosquitos. I normally do not have a problem with mosquitos, the ones here though decided to have a feast. 


A portion of what I pulled out of the back end of the lake. 


Moon Lake is not a large lake. I do want to paddle it sometime. I tried once, but when it was a county park they did not allow boats other than rentals on it. Now you just need either a PFBC or DCNR launch permit. 


I only took a pack with me on this hike, I came out with more than a pack full of trash though. Please if you go to areas like this, take what you bring in. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment