Thursday, August 25, 2016

Lehigh River (22-Aug-2016)


My plans of an on the water trip on Sunday were canceled due to heavy thunderstorms. On Monday I took a drive down to Lehigh Gap to see the river conditions and do a short riverside clean-up. The rains really raised the river. On my last paddle through this section there were lots of exposed rocks and even a large silt bar on the left side of the river. The higher water also meant there was no exposed bank to walk and I had to take overgrown trails.


Starting out there was a bottle here and there and it seemed like I wasn't going to find much.


Discovered a few small debris piles and picked through those, not a whole lot of trash in them either. 


Through the undergrowth I spotted this large piece of foam. What could it have been a part out. Was it the inner core of a boat, a piece of a dock or just industrial packing material? No one will ever know I guess. 


Another unopened river beer. I must say again, if you find these on the river, please do not drink them. Who knows how long they have been floating in the sun.


This was the third large foam puzzle piece I have found and the first along the river. The others were found on the AT not far from this location. 


Piece after piece added up and it wasn't long before I had collected this pile. I sorted out the recyclables by the boat launch and threw the rest away in the trash can. I then took the D&L Trail back to my car. I picked up a few more recyclables on my way, not enough to warrant a photo. 


This Monarch was on the trailside while on the way to my car. It was feeding on Purple Loosestrife a non-native species that can be problematic on river and stream banks and in wetlands. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment