Saturday, August 27, 2016

Lehigh River (24-Aug-2016)


After the Wildlands clean-up concluded, it was still early in the afternoon. I had my kayak with me and went back out on the water. I didn't set out to go far and just paddled around the still water near the boat launch. 


This bike was lodged against one of the pillars of the railroad bridge. It wasn't something I could keep balanced on my kayak for a long time so I immediately took it back to the launch and carried it up to the trash can. Bikes are a very common river find, especially around cities under bridges. Most likely the bikes are stolen, used or stripped of parts, then whats left is disposed of in the river. Please make sure your bikes are secure, they are not fun to pull out of the river. 


After dropping off the bike I paddled across the river and worked my way up the bank. When I spotted this I thought it was going to be the back of an old tv. Instead it was a headlight. 


It wasn't long before my bad started filling up. There is so much trash in this section of river. 


An arts and crafts sandal? It looked home made out of a really thin foam sheet. I wouldn't think that would work well at all. The Roundup was half full. 


Elmo! Found this on the way back to the launch.


Came off the water this time with a full bag, some larger items and a hull partially full of recyclables. 



After taking this final photo the trash went in the can and the recyclables were loaded up and taken with me. This coupled with what I collected on the Wildlands clean-up made the day a productive one. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment