Saturday, August 27, 2016

Lehigh River: Bowmanstown (25-Aug-2016)


Shoved off in Bowmanstown to take some more trash off of the Lehigh River. I didn't have anyone to pick me up so I came up with the plan to paddle down river, loop around one of the islands and come back up to the slack water. I have never tried this before at this site,I knew it wasn't going to be difficult to do, but I also knew there would be walking involved. 


Shoes were the first items of the trip. One after another just below the boat launch. If you are planning on spending a day on or by the river, I urge you to wear proper footwear. Something that surrounds your entire foot and has laces. I am finding syringes more often now and there are other hazards that may be in the water. Do it for your own safety and also so I or someone else doesn't have to pick up your lost shoes. 


Stopped at the end of the island where it looked like someone had a campsite. Pulled a small pile out of the undergrowth around the area. 


For some reason paddling back up river made me think of both the Native Americans and settlers that traversed these waters. Using the river as a transportation method down stream is easy. Going up even a small drop isn't. Kayaks and canoes can only be paddled so far until you have to portage or walk them up threw the moving water. Just imagine having a large hardwood canoe, portaging might not have even been an option. It would take a great deal of work even to get through a section like that above. 


One of the first items I picked up along the bank when I was back on the flat water. You really can find anything in the river if you look long enough. 


Damselflies mating and I believe depositing eggs onto vegetation that was caught on overhanging tree branches. 


If you take a good look at this photo, you can see all of the tiny little plastic pieces that are impossible to remove from our banks and waterways. 


I picked up the shell to an old TV and underneath it was a syringe. This year I have found many more than last on the Lehigh. Syringes that is, not TVs. 


This juvenile Pickerel Frog hopped out of my way as I was removing trash off the bank.


Eventually I ended up at a point that if I wanted to go further up river I would have to do some more walking. With the amount of trash I had I didn't consider that to be a good option and I crossed the river and worked the bank back to the launch. 


On this section of river the Katydids calls now out number the Cicadas. This tells me that fall will soon be here. This Katydid landed on a branch next to me and stayed relatively still for some photos. 


For the area that I covered, this is a lot of trash. Even with all of my posts I don't think I am showing the scope of just how much refuse is in our rivers. It is like this everywhere I go. We have the ability to make change, we just need to do it!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment