Monday, December 28, 2015

A Little East of the Border (28-Dec-2015)


I had some business to take care of in Phillipsburg, NJ and being so close, I ended up taking a hike at Merrill Creek Reservoir.  I know, I know, the title of this blog is Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA, so why is there a post about New Jersey? It really doesn't matter where I go, if I stop and there is trash I am going to work on getting rid of it. My main focus is on Eastern PA, but I am not limiting this blog to that.   


For the most part the trails were fairly clean. As always though, there were bottles and cans every once in awhile on the trailsides.


This is a Fox Sparrow. It was with a small mixed species flock along side the trail. 


Even a few glass bottles, were hidden around the trail edges. Almost every piece of trash today was tucked behind some sort of thorn.


Several pairs of Buffleheads were scattered about the lake. This one is a male. There were also a good number of Canada Geese around, but I think everyone has seen enough photos of them. 



A tad bit more than the past two walks at Locust Lake, but still not an impressive haul. If the weather holds out I will get a couple more good clean-ups done yet this year or early next. I will keep going until it gets too cold or until the snow covers everything. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment