Thursday, December 31, 2015

Big Pocono State Park (30-Dec-2015)


Yesterday, I went to meet some friends for a hike up at Big Pocono State Park. Got there early and was surprised to find the gates to the park closed and locked. Who knew an entire state park gets locked up for the winter. I turned around and parked in a nearby gamelands lot. I used the time I had to spruce up the lot. With a dusting of snow some of the pieces were hard to spot, but I think I did a fair job of removing the recyclables. 


Again, one item I refuse to pick up is used diapers and I keep finding them at more and more locations. A gamelands parking lot is not a place where I should find these, really I shouldn't find them anywhere. 


Not sure what gamelands this is, don't know if the Game Commission knows either, no number on the sign. I have said it before and I am repeating it again, it is always good to know the laws of the lands you go hiking on. This is particularly important with gamelands and there are new regulations that have taken effect recently. They are almost always posted at trailheads or even in some cases on borderline trees. Read and follow them for your safety and to respect the hunters who have purchased these lands. 


Just in the sweep of the parking lot this pile was collected. I'm sure if there wasn't snow I would have seen a few more items. 


After my friends arrived we started up the road to Big Pocono and then took a few trails. Eventually we ended up at the top and were greeted by this spectacular view. I don't think any of us were disappointed, it was at least something different from last time. 


This was it for the park itself. We did run into a park employee who was working on clearing brush from the roadsides. It was nice to see he had roadside garbage in the back of his truck and was cleaning as he was working. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment