Monday, December 21, 2015

Recycling Day (21-Dec-2015)


This is what I collected since the last recycling day I did just last week on the 15th. I honestly can't believe it is December and I am still able to get out and collect this much. Just over twelve bags total in six days, I think that is pretty good. Doing these trash stacks isn't easy, I had to set this one up a second time after the first try toppled before I could get a shot. Some of the ones earlier in the year were much more of a challenge. The stack really is a bit of fun before sorting through what sometimes can be nasty trash.  


The bags from the hiking trips were simple. I had sorted them on site at the parks before I put them in my car. The roadside bags are not as simple and contained a lot of non-recyclable plastics and styrofoam. 


This sort went fairly quickly. Not a single glass bottle broke in the whole process, which made the sort a little more pleasant. 


Normally I would wait longer before I did a trash sort, but like I said on the last recycling day post I want to get all of my recyclables to the center before the holidays. There was barely any room in the receptacles today and it will just get worse.


In total there were 1,340 collected and two full bags of non-recyclables. For the break down, there was 823 plastic bottles, 377 aluminum cans, 100 glass bottles, 28 plastic jugs and 12 plastic oil containers. For the rest of the week the clean-ups are going to be smaller. There is rain in the forecast so I am going to stick to trails and stay off of the roadside. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment