Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Nesquehoning (16-Dec-2015)


Back on route 93 today. This is the third road clean-up of this section and I started off where I left off before. Looking at the roadside in this photo, it doesn't seem that trashy. A lot of items that have been there for awhile are hidden in the high grass and even some of the new stuff can't be seen until you are right on top of it. 


I had two goals in mind for today's trip. The first was to take out two full bags of trash and the second was to clean both sides of the road to the point where route 93 starts heading down the Broad Mountain. Before I made it to the point where the road starts going down I had already filled one bag and the truck pull off ahead looked very trashy. 


On of the items around the truck pull off was this dandy plastic hat. I wonder if it is going to be labeled as to what type of plastic it is. I am guessing it won't be recyclable. 


Another place where it seems individuals either add or change oil in their vehicles. Both regular size and extra large oil containers were scattered about. By the end of the pull off I had my second bag filled. I left the two bags against the tree and headed back for my car. 


I walked back to my car on the opposite side and if there hadn't been much trash going back I probably would have only went with my two bag goal. Instead there looked to be more than the other side. When I got to my car I grabbed another bag, a large contractor bag this times and set out to pick up the side I just walked back. 


I just about filled the contractor bag, making the total for the day three full bags. Like the past couple road clean-ups I was focusing on plastics, aluminum, styrofoam and unbroken glass. The items I generally leave behind are paper products, which will biodegrade and mystery bags. 


You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment