Monday, December 21, 2015

Nesquehoning (21-Dec-2015)


With the forecast looking like rain for the rest of the week I decided today would be best for getting back to the road. Picking up where I left off yesterday, I set my goal for three bags and got to cleaning. In the photo to the right there is a small wetland area in the depression off of the roadside. With low temperatures today I couldn't get everything out of it. This will be high on my list in the spring when it warms up again. Even though this wetland is small and right next to the road it could still contain a variety of amphibian life. That is reason enough to get back there and do a better job when it warms up.


The first bag of the day. There was a lot more styrofoam than I wanted to collect, but it was there so it went in the bag. This is a concern, because currently I can only dispose of a limited amount of non-recyclables. 


It is the holiday season and I have been seeing more holiday themed trash. This was a whole packet of labels. It is sad to see things like this, it takes natural resources to create, it is wrapped in plastic, someone paid money for it and it just ends up unused on the roadside. There is so much waste in our society and I find so much stuff that I feel there is no point to. Soda and water bottles are number one on that list. I can't believe how many I find with just a sip or two out of discarded on the road. 


This fits in with the small rant above. I really just took this photo because an unopened pack of butter was just about the most interesting thing along the roadside today. I would like to point out if you like fast food and would like to curb your appetite for it, start doing trash clean-ups. After picking up so many fast food cups and seeing the paper bags everywhere I go, I have lost pretty much all interest in fast food. 


The second bag filled today. Can you tell I forgot to take a photo of it before I started a new bag and continued on? I wasn't going back, I really just wanted to get the three bags filled and get off the road. 


The third bag filled quickly and I picked up some large plastic containers as well. In addition I found an unused flex bag, just like the ones I use, but I think this one was a little larger. I had a long walk back to the car on the opposite side of the road and a portion of it I haven't cleaned yet. 


I stuck to the road and did not go down the embankment on the way back. I still filled the found bag bringing the days total up to four. I will have to go back and get everything below the embankment. Not only small trash, but even more tires down there. Finding funding to get rid of tires is definitely high on the priority list for the new year. Today I did not find any syringes, I'm not complaining, I just found it odd. I did find another bag for them, thankfully nothing was in it. 


Getting the last bag and the two containers into the car took some pushing and shoving. Like yesterday there really is a difference visually on the section of road I have been working on. It isn't perfect, there are still paper products, car parts and larger non-recyclable items, but it is a big difference from what it was. Happy to finish by 1pm, this gave me enough time to get home, do a sort and take everything from the past week to the recycling depot. 


You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment