Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Gamelands (17-Apr-2016)


Back to searching for salamander study sites for Kelly. Again, I can not give out locations. The sites that we visit are sensitive and if a lot of people start going to them the habitat can very quickly be ruined. Above is an adult Spring Salamander that we came across at one of the streams. 


For some a Hellgrammite may be the stuff of nightmares, especially one this large. To me they are just and aquatic larval insect that will eventually develop into a Dobsonfly. I would suggest not trying to pick them up. They do have large mandibles and they like to use them. You would certainly feel a bite from one this size. Like many creatures, they should not be feared, just respected. They like everything else has its purpose in the environment. 


Kelly found more Collembola in one of the streams. These are clearly a different color than all I have come across so far this year. I don't know weather it is just a variant or if this is a different species. Pretty sure I would have had to collect some and use a microscope to tell. 


Some snakes are finally slithering about. This Garter Snake was moving along one of the trails. Like the Hellgrammite snakes are nothing to fear. Keep your distance and they will leave you alone.


The common name for this flower is Bloodroot. It is not a flower I come across often. I would like to point out that it is unlawful to collect flowers from the wild on state lands. Take photos not plants to help ensure they will be in our woods for years to come!


Only four small piles for the day. I didn't take out that much trash and we didn't find any sites that would work for Kelly's study.


By the end of the day I was exhausted and as you can see I didn't even take the trash out of my pack for the photo. I think this may be the last study site search for awhile.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment