Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Nesquehoning (13-Apr-2016)


It was such a nice day I decided for the clean-up I would get out on the water. Before I could do that I had to take Penny for a walk. I drove to a road that doesn't get much traffic and that we used to walk a lot. I cleaned this area multiple times last year and I didn't think there would be much trash. I was wrong and this ended up being more of a clean-up than a walk. Penny didn't seem happy with me and I wasn't happy with all of the trash. 


Not even out of the pull-off where I park and I found several new places where people have been dumping since last year. All I could take out on this trip were recyclables, so in this specific area I tied Penny up and got to work picking through everything that others cast over the edge. Walking on yard waste commingled with trash including broken glass and metal objects is not fun. I took out all of the recyclables I could see or reach. 


All of this came from just around the pull-off. I felt sick after finding all of this. I put a lot of time into this area last year and just over the winter it has become worse than it ever was. 


I continued down the road and back with Penny. The road was as it normally is and I walked just long enough to fill my pack.


For an unplanned clean-up I got a lot. The pack and what I collected around the pull-off filled a large contractor size trash bag. I took Penny home after this and got my gear together for the planned clean-up of the day. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment