Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (20-Apr-2016)


Headed back to the Glen Onoco access of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. There are two areas that I did work on last year, but I bypassed on the clean-ups so far this. I picked the easiest one to access and got to work.


The main reason for this trip was to scout for tires. This is the next section I will be pulling them from and I wanted to get an estimate of how many are there. I found eleven total, but I did not search the entire flood plain area. Out of the eleven, ten looked like they would be easy to remove, the other one had a tree growing through it. 


The sun glare on the lens was most likely the only reason I even noticed this pair. They were packed in the sediment and it took some doing pulling them out.


Looks like some kid made a base by the river. I took what was probably his/her command center. 


Where the water meets the land I picked up some new items and some old. Single use coffee cups should be illegal.


How do so many of these make it into streams and rivers? Over the years I have seen a lot of big wheelers and like dolls, I just don't understand why they end up there. 


What a lovely combination. 


When I found this I was a little disappointed I didn't have an 8-track player. Then I realized the tape was gone. Label too was gone so I couldn't even tell what it had been.  


I didn't spend that much time around this tree. Beavers are interesting. In other places I have seen them take down all of the small trees on the riverbank. Here they completely ignored the little stuff and went to what was close to the largest tree on this flood plain. If a heavy wind goes through, I am sure this tree is going down. 


The contractors bag wasn't full, but it was heavy and I filled my pack with as much as would fit in it. I didn't have far to go to take this out, it still wasn't easy. 


Lots of footwear, even a rubber shoe attachment with cleats for ice. Only four pairs of glasses this time. Everything though was pretty much the normal river trash. Might possibly go back tomorrow morning. Today I had enough time to get home load up the kayak and head over to Mauch Chunk for another clean-up. That post will be up soon. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment