Friday, April 15, 2016

Multiple Locations (14-Apr-2016)


Like other similar posts I am not giving out the specific locations for the sites that I visited in this post. My friend Kelly and I went out once again searching for sites that would work for her upcoming salamander study. We visited multiple streams on this trip and we really didn't have much luck finding the exact conditions her study needs. 


I have posted several photos of this species before. This is a Northern Dusky Salamander and will be one of the species included in Kelly's study. The streams we searched had Dusky Salamanders, just not in a high abundance. 


This is a Two-Lined Salamander. They too were in every stream we visited and in higher numbers. All of the sites though needed other variables to make them suitable. 


I grabbed what I could as we hiked along the streams or trails on the way to them. Everywhere seems to have trash and it wasn't hard finding items at every visited site.


At the location this trash was taken out of the main problem with the stream was there was too much human activity. The stream was disturbed, with rocks flipped/moved not long ago. In this case it looked like it was kids. There was even a fort built over the stream in one area. I like the fact that kids in that area are spending time outside, but I wish they had guidance to lessen the impact on the stream. 


In all I did not take a whole lot of trash out on this trip, but did get streams checked off Kelly's list. This also gave me an idea of areas that have a good amount of trash and I will be back to some of these areas for more thorough clean-ups.


At one location Trout Lilies were popping up all over the forest floor. Hopefully this is a sign that snow is definitely over for the spring. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment