Thursday, April 7, 2016

Mauch Chunk Lake (7-Apr-2016)


After the rain ended this afternoon I loaded up the kayak and headed over to Mauch Chunk Lake. I chose the lower launch this time and started out going up the lake towards the beach and camping area. 


Looks like this stayed around the beach all winter long. It is astonishing the wind did not take it away.


Right next to the beach on the side of the campgrounds I collected this pile of junk. The county really should do more to keep this area clean. 


These were two lovely finds that I reluctantly put in my garbage bag. Picked the cup up before I even realized it contained a diaper, then not far away I found the other one. People are quick to blame the waterfowl for E. coli breakouts around these swimming areas, but from what I keep finding, some of the blame needs to go to humans who can't seem to find a proper disposal for their child's waste. I find way too many used diapers.


This pile was collected not far from the first one. 


Both of these were pulled from the water not far from the beach area. So not only do you have to worry about E. coli from dirty diapers, but you also have the chance to step on a sharp jagged can. I would not pay to use this or any other beach area like it. Especially if you have kids think about this before taking them to your local lake beach.


A broom head. I think this is a new find for me. I know I have found broom handles before, guess I was bound to find this end sometime. 


Was lucky when I chose to cross the lake. The wind had died down and the water was fairly calm.


After crossing the lake I got out on shore for a break and found a few items like the shoe on the left. I spotted the bowl on the right too. Penny will soon have a new car water bowl after I clean this one up.  For the rest of the trip I worked my way down the shore back towards the car, picking cans from the water and stopping a couple more times for things on the bank.


This was my favorite scene of the day. Some people don't like a rainy, cloudy day, there sure is beauty in them though. 


Cans, cans, cans. New, old and in between. It was cold enough reaching down for these and not long after this was taken it started raining again and that got me to call it a day. There were a few cans that I could see that were out of reach again. Will be able to get them when the water warms up. It may require some bobbing, but I will do my best to return and get them.


This was the haul for the day. There is still much more shoreline to scour and I am sure I could take this much more off the lake with another paddle. 


More lures to add to the collection. So many lures, what am I going to do with them all?


Saved the best photo for last. This was one of two Common Loon I spotted while paddling back across the lake. I do not often come across loons so this was a treat. I also did see, but wasn't able to photograph a Bald Eagle, Kingfisher, a Female Merganser, Mallards and an Osprey. It was a good day for birds on Mauch Chunk. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment