Thursday, April 21, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park and Gamelands (21-Apr-2016)


Had a meeting today with one of the managers at Hickory Run State Park. It was just to discuss access points and where to leave some of the larger items. On the way to Hickory Run I decided to pick up some items I had found, but didn't take out on other trips. Above is a VCR or similar device that I pulled off the bank yesterday. I set it next to a trail away from the river. It was too heavy to take out with everything else I had.  


I made the quick run down to it, grabbed it and hauled it back up to the car. I did my best to shake the sand out of it yesterday, but it was still loaded with it and it was like carrying a large cement block. Was happy when I got back to the car with it.


The second stop was Drake's Creek access to get some cloth items I had seen, but left behind before. On the way down the access road, the Ruffed Grouse above ran in front of me and up the bank along the road. This is the closest a grouse has ever let me get without flying away. I took the photo from the car and I tried my best to get the entire grouse in the shot. 


Normally I wouldn't pick up the discarded underwear of another, it was there though and I had a bag to fill and I made an exception. The green object, I thought was a blanket turned out to be more like a hoody. I thought the log was over it, instead it was just ripped into pieces.


Out of this stop was the underwear, hoody, a towel and a couple recyclables I missed last time. It was a quick stop and now those items are off my list of things I had to go back for. 


Taking 903 from Drake's Creek to Hickory Run I spotted this Bald Eagle hanging out above a small pond. It was a pleasant surprise and was the second time I sighted one on this road this year. 


Had some time to kill when I arrived at Hickory Run and took a short walk up the Shades of Death Trail. Found a few items on the opposite side of the stream as the trail. 


From Hickory Run I wanted to stop at a specific spot at a gamelands, bridge construction didn't allow for me to park at the normal spot I do. I found a different lot and a new way down to the river. In doing so I also found more trash. The first was this pile of mostly glass above. I removed nearly all of it leaving only a few broken bottles. I do need to get burlap or another more durable kind of bag. I don't like leaving anything behind. 


Not much further towards the river I found this barrel. My pack was already filled with glass and my garbage bag had a rip in it so I couldn't take much more glass. I picked through and removed the cans an plastics that I could see and get to. I have to point out that if you find an old rusty barrel in the woods it is not a garbage can, no one will empty it and it and the trash you put in it will be there for a long, long time. Take out everything you take into the woods. I will return to this site to take out more of the glass when I have a chance.


It was hot out there and by the time we made it to the river Penny was panting. I found a lot of washed up bottles and cans. I grabbed what I could and headed down to the river so Penny could cool off. 


We both ended up wading out into the water and Penny took a short swim. I was even tempted, the water is still too cold for that though. 


This was the total haul from the car to the river and back. Dependent upon the weather tomorrow I may end up paddling a section of the gorge. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment