Sunday, April 10, 2016

Mauch Chunk Lake (10-Apr-2016)


Starting out the sun was shining and it looked to be a great day to get out on the water. I thought it was going to be a really good day.


I crossed over to the other side to pick up where I left off last time and started working down the bank. 


 On this portion of bank there was not a lot of trash, however there were balloons and plastic bags.


 More cans. I am getting pretty good a bringing them up to the surface with the paddle.


When I fist saw this in the water I thought it was a golf club. It looked to have a handle and that was all I could think of. After pulling it out of the water, I could see it definitely was not a golf club and had a wooden handle. My guess is that it was part of a fish net.


Along the shore I did get out a few times. There wasn't much trash on this bank. 


Of course there is always trash along the dam face. I left my kayak and started working my way across the dam. I was starting to get cold and after scouring about a quarter of the dam I decided to get in the kayak and get back to the car.


I am glad I did not find this can last summer. Inside was a Vespid Wasp nest. I have picked up cans like this when the wasps were active. After loading the trash in the kayak I went to get in myself. I leaned to hard towards the lake and the kayak started going over. I was able to stop that from happening but did get soaked. 


On the paddle back the sky turned cloudy, without the sun the temperature dropped and the wind really picked up. Being wet didn't help.


Not as much as the previous trips out on Mauch Chunk, I didn't spend nearly as much time as I normally do on this clean-up due to the cold. It was a bad idea to go out there today and I did learn my lesson. I am not going back out on the water again until it warms up. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment