Saturday, April 30, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (30-Apr-2016)


Back to one of the floodplains at the Glen Onoco Access of the Lehigh Gorge. The main goal of the day was to go further down this area and scout for more tires. Last Monday I worked pretty far down, but I didn't make it to the end of the plain. Didn't know how many I would find, but I was sure I would find some. 


Picked up more of the same river trash as I made my way down the plain. Sunglasses, footwear and cans. The normal and most abundant items of the day.


Discovered this old plain crash. From a quick search online this is most likely a Fisher Price Little People Jet Plane. It is possibly as old as the 1970's. 


A couple times on this trip I set my bags down and tied Penny up and searched the surrounding area for trash. This was one of the piles made at one of the stops. 


First laminated map of the Lower Lehigh Gorge I have found. Won't be surprised if I find more of these. I would think they would be popular with kayakers. 


Two out of four of the tires I found on this trip. I did pull both of these and moved them up river closer to where I can take them out at. I have to wait for weekdays to take them off of the riverbank though when the DCNR can pick them up right away.


A new color of this type of shoe. All man made material and probably won't biodegrade in my lifetime.


The second Red Socks hat I have found in the gorge. The other was further up river and that hat was much more deteriorated than this one. 


Bags were full and Penny was fed up with collecting trash for the day. She wasn't barking, she just gave me that look. She paid me back for making her sit around a few times this trip. She dragged me and the trash out of the flood plain at high speed to try to catch up with a dog she saw on a nearby trail. 



The burlap sack worked well and I was happy with how much trash I was able to pack in it. I can't believe just how much trash is in the gorge. There is much more than this still in the section I was working on. I walked by a lot I just did not have room in my bags to take out today. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment