Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Mauch Chunk Lake (20-Apr-2016)


There was only a small portion of lake shore I hadn't yet got around to this year. I finished that section on this trip. It started off slow with only a few cans and then picked up when I hit some popular fishing areas. 


If you look carefully at this photo you can see black squiggly lines under the surface of the water. These are American Toad eggs. Toads were also calling loud around this spot. 


Collected these piles around the popular fishing sites.


This is not the first time I have come across this boat. Last year it was on another piece of lake shore not far away. I left it again. I don't often take wooden items. 


I heard this Common Loon call before I noticed it was even on the lake with me. If you have never heard a loon call, I suggest you look it up. I think it is the coolest sound of any waterfowl. 


The Fish and Boat Commission must be looking at the conditions of fish in the lake soon. There were several of these nets set out. These did not look to be nets that directly catch fish like a gill net. They looked more like seine nets that have to be physically moved to trap fish against the shore. My guess is that they set them and leave them out to allow fish to get used to them being there.


Not a completely full boat. It was more that I thought I would pull off the lake though.
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment