Saturday, April 9, 2016

Locust Lake State Park (9-Apr-2016)


With it snowing and cold, it was not my intention to do a clean-up today. However I did take Penny over to Locust Lake State Park and of course I ended up taking out trash. Trout season has started in Schuylkill County and it is clear that many of the first fishermen out have no problem with leaving things behind on their fishing outings. 


I know that many fishermen are respectful and would never leave trash behind, but there are too many that do not share that respect. Line was the number one item on this walk around and much of it was placed in areas that are not easy to get it out of. 


This area I have cleaned before, but I may have missed these items on previous walks through. The fishing regulation book was from 2015 and the can looked like it had been there for awhile. I was able to reach these items without difficulty, but there were other things like bait containers that I will have to go back to get with the tongs. 


Locust Creek was stunning with the light covering of snow on the vegetation. There were fishermen around the lake, none down around the spillway or creek though. It was nice to be in this area on a weekend with no people. So, the snow isn't all bad. 


The first grocery bag of the day. Most of this came from below the lake. I then took a walk around the lake itself. 


This was at the start of walking around. By the end it had warmed up enough that much of the snow was melting.


The second bag of the day. Not as full as the first. For a day I wasn't going to pick up anything at all I think it went fairly well. By the end both I and Penny were soaked. I know I was cold, she didn't seem to mind. If the conditions improve I will hopefully be starting to work on the gorge again on Monday. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment