Friday, May 13, 2016

Appalachian Trail: Ashfield Rd towards Bake Oven Knob (13-May-2016)


The original plan was to be back in the gorge again, the rain put a damper on that. I chose to go to the Appalachian Trail instead, don't have to deal with high water on a mountain top. It poured all the way to the mountain, luckily it eased up before I got out of the car. Started at Ashfield Road and headed west towards Bake Oven Knob. 


For the most part the trail was clean. There were a few places where I picked up a couple cans. Not bad at all though compared to other sections I have hiked.


Hope this wasn't something the person who lost this needed. 


I do not know what kind of flowers these are, they look nice though. 


The rest of the trip it was just single items that I found along the trail. 


The trail was in the clouds, only a little rain was coming down and it was nice like this for awhile. 


Someone had a nice time smoking cigars around a campfire. It was nice of them to leave their plastic bags and wrappers behind for me to pick up for them. 


Penny is not always in my posts, she is along on most of the trips though. It ended up being her who decided how far we went on this trip. When it started pouring she wanted to go right back to the car. I didn't have a say in it. 


This section can be difficult on a sunny, dry day. In the rain the rocks are slippery and every step has to be made with care. It was a little hard with Penny pulling me all the way back. 


With the rain there wasn't much out as far as wildlife. This Red Eft was out walking around though. Red Efts are a common sight on the Appalachian Trail through Pennsylvania. They are the juvenile stage of the Red-Spotted Newt. For years Red Efts wander the forest before heading to a body of water and going through a metamorphosis becoming an aquatic adult. 


It was a great hike, I would have liked to have covered more trail. Not much trash, I see that as a good thing though. The trail really wasn't that bad in this section.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment