Monday, May 30, 2016

Tuscarora State Park (24-May-2016)


To those who read this blog often, sorry for the delay in getting new posts up. This was the second clean-up of the day after a bank clean-up on the Lehigh. I wanted to go for a paddle and Tuscarora State Park is close to home so I decided to go around the lake there. 


After cleaning up the entire lake shore once already this year, I didn't expect there to be much trash. There really wasn't a whole lot, but did find new wash ups of the same old trash items.


This was a first. I have found working waterproof headlamps before, but not a waterproof flashlight. Didn't even need new batteries, worked just fine. 


I may have missed this my last time around. Some items aren't that easy to spot. You night not be able to tell, this is a balloon. 


Perfect skies and calm water. A great way to paddle. 


On the far shore I did get out and walk around to stretch my legs. Away from the water I found a few cans and then I saw something that ended up not being that easy to remove...


In a couple years I don't think I would have been able to remove this bottle. It had to have been placed there some time ago. The tree had grown into it a little and it took some doing to wiggle it out.


Back on the water I took a minute to say hello to this Common Snapping Turtle. I would not suggest ever trying to pick up a Snapping Turtle if it is not absolutely necessary. Not only do they bite, they musk and can take a gouge out of your skin with their claws. For these attributes they should not be feared, they should be respected.


The paddle back didn't yield much trash at all. I wish it would stay this way through the summer! I can dream I guess. 


This was the last trash item of the day. Possibly off of a boat it was just a really thick piece of plastic. 


It was a long day with two clean-ups, the sun was setting and it was time to get home. 


Not a lot, I did hope to find less than this though. 


A Spotted Sandpiper on the lakes edge. 

New posts will be up tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to catch up to date.
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment