Saturday, May 14, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (14-May-2016)


Back again to the Glen Onoco Access of the Lehigh Gorge State Park. Will be visiting this area many more times in the coming weeks as well. The path above is one that I am becoming very familiar with. It is actually the old canal path, just a grown in a little bit now. In this photo the canal is to the right and from this perspective you can't even tell its there. Followed this up to the flood plain to work again on removing small items. 


The first item I found by the river. Could high waters have really placed this as it sits in the photo? It is exactly how I found it. I can't imagine a person putting it there.


A electrical hook up for a trailer possibly? It has a mitsubishi logo on it, do they even make vehicles that can haul a trailer? 


This is why I didn't want to come to this area yesterday in the rain. Two days ago this was completely dry. On this trip there were two reasons for the high water. The rain yesterday and a release from Francis Walter Dam today. The water was still rising as I was working on cleaning up and one of the dry channels I was following through the area filled up while I was there. 


The Iron Pigs aren't that old of a team, but their hats can already be found on the banks of the Lehigh. This is not the first Iron Pigs hat I have picked up. There were so many other hats and hat pieces on this trip. This was one of the more intact of them all. 


Cell phone parts. Secure your phones if you go on a river trip, always make sure they are in a dry bag. I hope that these weren't just old phones that someone purposely threw into the river.


The yellow object is a fiberglass boat piece. From the looks of it it, I think it is a chunk of the bottom of a flat bottom boat. The Armour Treet is not the first meat product can I have found. Products like this seem to be a popular on the water snack. 


 Fine, stylish, river fresh sunglasses. Perfect for you or your dog!


With a sack and a pack full I headed back the old canal path out. The sack wasn't overflowing with trash, it was heavy though. 


Before leaving I still had some energy so I decided to move some tires closer to being taken out. I took three and a half off of the river bank and up to the canal side at the access I have been using. Once I have about twenty here I will be moving them up to the road. I am going to start working on moving up all of the tires from the current area I am working on soon. 



This was it! Lots of shoes, eyewear and hats! I should start a used clothing store, this stuff is fashionable right? I did complete a pair of canal shoes today. Got the other one on Thursday. Here are some close ups so you can see the haul better...


I tried making a smily face out of the boat piece, a bra and a light cover, didn't turn out that great though. Just above that on the left are pieces to another plastic doll crib. I have found pieces to at least three of those now. I think its weird that so many of them ended up in the river.


Not sure if I will be going out tomorrow. I will be working on things related to Taking Out the Trash though. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment