Saturday, May 7, 2016

State Gamelands/Tuscarora State Park (7-May-2016)


Started off this trash collecting adventure on State Gamelands. The trail does a loop with a portion of it in Tuscarora State Park. I haven't been to this location in awhile and wasn't sure what to expect. As always, I was really hoping there wouldn't be any trash at all. 


This was one of the first bottles I picked up. It had a grainy white hardened substance inside and a small portion of the bottle looked as though it was just chemically eaten away. I have been warned about meth bottles by several people and this potentially could be one. It would be nice not to find anything with mystery substances inside, its just the way it is though I guess.  


All of the trails in this area are nice. Was hoping to see some birds in the thick brush on the trailside, but all that I heard were way up in the treetops. 


This most likely was the oldest find of the day. I find these bottles often, the label on this one was in better condition than most. If you have never seen one of these bottles before the label is styrofoam. 


I had a choice between following an upper trail and walking along the stream. I went with the stream since normally at this time of year there is some trash left behind by fishermen.


Didn't take long to find some. I don't know what this stuff is made out of, but I wouldn't use it as bait. 


From the stream I noticed something up in a patch of pines that definitely didn't belong. This is what I found when I got close. I didn't bring any extra bags with me so finding a grocery bag without a tear in it gave me something else to fill with trash.  


This spot where the water from Tuscarora Lake flows into Locust Creek always has trash between the rocks. Today was no different, not as much as what I pulled out of here a couple times last year though. Its always nice to see at least a reduction of trash in an area from time to time. 


Still found a sandal, fishing line and some bottles.


This was everything on the loop hike. 


I then took a short walk around Tuscarora lake, just to hit a small section that I missed on my last clean-up there. Not as much trash as there could have been and the view was nice. 


Two things of note from the small amount of trash I did pick up around the lake itself. The first, if you take a good look at the photo on the left you might see a little orange cap. That is supposed to be on a syringe. I searched around the area I found it and didn't see anything. The cap could have washed up from the lake. There is a good chance the uncapped syringe is somewhere around the lake, which isn't a good thing with there being a swimming area. I have found a syringe in this park before and really anymore they can be found anywhere. Be aware they are out there and always wear shoes at your local state park, even if you are swimming in the beach area. The second, taking the small amount of non-recyclables to the trash I found the bird call in the photo on the right. Never found a bird call before, but since it is something you have to put in your mouth to use, well it went right in the trash. 


Found this Red Trillium (Trillium erectum) off of one of the trails. It is always nice to come across native flowers. If you find any in the wild, take only photos. In Pennsylvania it is unlawful to pick or dig up wildflowers on state lands. By leaving the flowers alone we insure that the plants will be able to reproduce and will continue to be a part of our forests biodiversity. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment