Thursday, May 19, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (19-May-2016)


Up the canal path again at the Glen Onoco access. I didn't set out with any specific goal as far as numbers, this was a tire trip though. I enjoy this short hike along the old canal path to the flood plain. The trees are filled with bird calls, the birds themselves are nearly impossible to spot.   


Same view I like posting, this time a nice sunny day. When I got to this point I wasn't ready to start pulling tires. Still feeling the ones I carried out yesterday and it was such a nice day I wanted to spend some time exploring along the river. I only had a pack to fill and knew it wouldn't take long on a section I haven't traversed yet this year. 


Going up the riverbank I started finding the usual items. Shoes, glasses, cans and a familiar water shotgun. I have found at least three of these water shotgun barrels, they don't seem to be made well. Please don't buy them, I don't like finding them on the riverside.


Normally if I found a plastic strip like this I wouldn't know what it is to. This one I know exactly what it is. This is a liner that goes around the cockpit of a kayak. Specifically I think it is from an Old Town since it looks the same as the one on mine. 


A whistle is always a good find. It's nice to have an extra for my PFD. I don't intend to use found whistles, they are a requirement to have on you if you are boating in PA. Also nice to have an extra toothpaste around. I wonder what Crest tastes like when it fades into rest.


I've never had this before. In my mind I just imagine it being the juice that fills a can of mandarin oranges. 


Two wallet finds. The first, a plastic wallet, had nothing in it. The second, a leather wallet, was bursting with cards. According to the expiration dates on the cards it was lost in the mid 90's.


Well something doesn't belong in this photo and it is a clown! Not the first MacDonald's toy I have found, it was the first Ronald.


The view just above the flood plain. Here I still wasn't feeling like moving any tires, I knew it had to get done though. I started working my way back the flood plain looking for the easiest tires to pull.  


These were near the top of the flood plain and I thought they both would be easy to get out. The first one was. The second one is still there. Some of them are going to need tools to remove, the one on the right is one of them.


I discovered this on my first trip through this area. Felt it was time to get it out of there. Hopefully by next year there will be plants growing in the space it covered up. 


At five tires, a full pack, a quarter of a canoe and some other items I felt like I had enough. I worked my way down the flood plain with these items and found a path up to the canal. 


Back on the canal path it was the same as yesterday. Took a couple tires up, dropped them off and went back for some more and repeat. With only five, it was much quicker getting out.


Added the tires and the larger pieces to the pile. I will be ecstatic when all of these are up on the access road. Still a lot of work to do carrying them up. For now they are off the riverbank and one step closer to complete removal. 


Everything from my pack. Still finding a lot of sunglasses. There is still a lot of work to be done in the area, both with tires and just regular trash. Tomorrow I think I will be back working on it again. I think my goal might be a little different though. I may try for just one large tire that I have to roll out and a sack and pack full of smaller trash. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment