Monday, May 2, 2016

Lehigh Gorge State Park (2-May-2016)


After scouting over the weekend it was time to take the tires out. Back to the Glen Onoco Access, back across this bridge and back to the riverside. I headed to the furthest pile of tires I had waiting for me below Lock #2. 


This trip was meant to be specifically for tires, so I didn't even bring an extra bag with me. I did have my pack as I always do and did pick up a few other items. This was the most interesting find of the day. I wonder how old it is and how does an ice scrapper make it into the river? I did look up the business it was from and it looks like they are still around. I am pretty sure this would be too brittle to ever use as a scrapper again.


Grabbed these and found a path up to the trail. Took two trips with Penny along.


The tires along Lock #2. This was after I picked up a second small pile of two tires. In order to get them back I had to carry two ahead, tie Penny to a tree and go back for the rest. Penny will not walk back and forth with me for trash when I have to do this. 


Hopefully the last time these tires will ever be along a riverside. 


With the first five tires out I was ready for round two. Back down to the riverbank to pick up the last tires that I discovered on Saturday. 


Before taking the last of the tires up I walked through one last section that I skirted around on the last visit to this area. Just wanted to make sure there were no more tires that I missed. There weren't, but can you see all of the cans. I did pick up a few, this spot needs a ton of work though. 


This was my favorite part of taking these tires back. Not much vegetation in this cut and I was able to roll the tires to where they were in this photo. Any break from carrying them is appreciated. 


This was everything for the first excursion of the day. Jeff Greco who has helped with clean-ups before was going to help with getting these tires out, but I got there early and finished before he arrived. When he did get there I suggested we go up to the Drake's Creek Access. 


With Mr. Greco along I was able to see some cool birds up close. He calls them in, points them out and identifies them. This is a Black-and-White Warbler. There were many of these flying about, but this one came in the closest and took time to pose for photos. 


While following a bird as it flew through the trees Greco spotted this Porcupine. 


Trying to get closer photos of the Porcupine I found this. It is Gypsy Moth Caterpillars emerging from an egg mass. I have never seen this before. I have already seen their tents in some trees and it is looking like it is going to be another bad year in this area. 

                           

This came from the hike around Drake's Creek. I am not happy to say I missed all of these items on my last clean-up there. 


At one last stop we got to see Prairie Warblers. This individual didn't seem to mind when I moved closer to it. A couple times it even flew to perching points closer to me after I took a few steps towards it.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment