Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Lehigh River (28-May-2016)


Another hot day and I wanted to get out on the water. Limited to sections of the Lehigh that still have intact canal, so I can paddle back up to my car. I decided to run the section below Walnutport again. On the last trip down this section I removed a considerable amount of trash and I knew if I didn't find enough to fill the boat on the Lehigh there would be more to pick up the way back on the canal. 


I did not find much at all on the riverside. Somehow I did manage to see this flipper on the bottom. I have found children's flippers before, but this was the first adult size.


Nearing the point where I had to go up to the canal I found this base to an old tv. It still contained some electronic components and was not small or light. Since there was not much further to paddle down river I walked this right up to the canal path and to a trash can along its side. 


For a weekend I couldn't believe how few people were using the canal path in this section. I only passed one person all the way back to my car. It could be because the D&L Trail is on the other side of the river here and this canal path just dead ends. 


The TV base was left along side the can and the flipper was thrown in. I prefer not paddling with larger items and being able to drop these off helped a lot for the paddle up the canal. 


The canal was just packed full of items I don't see that often in other areas. This is the first large dog food bag I have ever come across floating in any waterway. 


A mystery liquid and a not so mystery liquid. I tried very hard not to get either on my boat. The uncapped Little Stinker catfish bait I was especially careful with.


Upside down in the water I thought I was just reaching for a piece of styrofoam not a headstone. 


Nearing the end of my trip up the canal. 


Along with the two larger items I think it was a decent haul. The non-recyclables were thrown out at the local parks dumpster and the recyclables were loaded in the car. The first time I paddled this section this year I did ask someone who was working on the grounds if it would be alright to use the dumpster in the parking lot. It is always best to ask and generally there are no problems if you are helping to clean-up the surrounding area. 


Do you know what species these two frogs are? If you guessed Green Frog on the left and Bullfrog on the right you are correct. These frogs can be confused, there color can be variable and smaller ones often look similar to one another. There is an easy way to tell the difference between these two species though. The Green Frog has what's called a lateral lines which are raised lines that runs from the back of the eye to its back end, a Bullfrog does not have these.


This Whitetail deer did not seem to sure about what she was looking at when I paddled by her on the river. 


At this time of year it seems every twenty feet there is a Common Grackle on the riverbank. They do not often stick around for photos. 
You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this project? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment