Wednesday, May 18, 2016

State Gamelands (17-May-2016)


This is an area that I cleaned last year not long after trout season had opened. There is a popular trout fishing stream and the place was really a mess. I did one clean-up here over the winter as well, but much of the area was still covered in snow. I really didn't know what to expect. I just hoped it was a little cleaner than last year. 


Down the trail not far from the car I found these items. Last year I was not collecting glass and during the winter I most likely was unable to see these. Instead of carrying them around with me the entire hike I dropped them off at the car and started out again. 


First thing I spotted by the stream were plastic bags then styrofoam cups. It wasn't a good sign.


I went upstream and I continued to find items, but the good thing was there was not nearly as much trash as last year. 


With a full pack I returned to the car and then set off to work my way downstream. 


The stream really is spectacular. 


More items that looked like they had been there for awhile.


I find pots all over the place. Whenever I do I always wonder, are people illegally collecting plants, illegally growing plants or did this just wash downstream from someones yard. 


Originally this was a bag of water bottles and Dunkin Donuts cup that someone discarded. The top half of the bag was photo degraded away. 


Another full pack ended the day. Just two pack was less than what I remember from this area last year, it still isn't great though. Nothing would be better. If you are out hiking, fishing or hunting don't only take your own garbage out, please help and take what you find as well. We all need to help out more to end this problem.


Especially when I have Penny along there are very few times when I am out picking up trash that I can just stand and watch wildlife without being seen. Here I was able to watch not one, but six Whitetail bucks walk across a small valley one after another. It was an awesome experience. I have seen many deer, but never six bucks all with velvet together. 


I hear and see Pileated Woodpeckers often. For me they are extremely hard to photograph and they never let me get close enough for a good shot. This is probably the best photo I have of one so far. There were two and one flew out of frame to the right and this one started flying to the left. There is also a Robin to the right of the photograph. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment