Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Beltzville and a Couple Short Stops (15-May-2016)


Since a bear has recently visited my yard several times and completely destroyed my bird feeders I had to go pick up some more. Marzen's Feed and Hardware has the largest selection of good quality bird feeders in the area, I headed on over an picked some up. Wasn't planning on doing a clean-up, but I was close to Beltzville and I thought I might try my luck birding. Something was going on at the park, which lead me to avoid the main entrances and I ended up back at this old road that dead ends at the lake. I cleaned this area not too long ago and I was really hoping I wouldn't find anything at all. Disappointment came right from exiting the car and finding a couple cans discarded in an area I had thoroughly cleaned before.  


The wasn't much trash on the road down to the lake, there were not many birds either. A few were calling, but I didn't see any at all. I picked up the trash and it didn't take long until I was at the lake. 


There were a few more items on the lakeside. Not as bad as last time, still its more. There is always and seems like always will be more. 


Above the road on the way out I spotted this Yellow-Billed Cuckoo. Until recently I have never been that interested in birding, now that I am looking though, there really is a large diversity of birds in Pennsylvania. It just takes some time to start seeing the interesting ones.


Nothing compared to what I took out the last time here, still just the fact that I can find trash on every trip out visiting the same places. It is horrible. People really need to start caring more. I do this blog in hopes that people will see it and maybe decide to start helping out. We need to make change to make this world a better place and it is on everyone to start doing better.


Heading home I took the back roads and made a couple more unplanned stops. The first was at a large   wooded property owned by the city of Bethlehem. Why does Bethlehem own property so far away? There are also reservoirs and it is where at least some of Bethlehem's drinking water comes from. The reservoirs themselves are fenced and have restricted access, but the surrounding property does allow public access, with very limited parking. I didn't stay long, a storm was moving in, I did get to see this Common Yellowthroat though.


Almost all the trash was around the pull off I parked in. Wasn't much, but every piece removed makes a difference. 


Made one last stop on this power line cut which is also State Forest property. I thought I could get one or two birds, but the winds made that pretty much impossible. 


I did leave with some trash. The balloon was a new one for me. It was a letter to a deceased relative. I understand the want to communicate with a lost loved one, but please don't use this method. The balloon will end up coming down and becoming litter. 

I am trying to catch up on my posts today! I know I have gotten a little behind. More posts will soon be up!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

Like this blog? Like it on Facebook: Taking Out the Trash in Eastern PA

No comments:

Post a Comment