Friday, May 8, 2015

Bake Oven Knob: Day 6 (8-May-2015)


Another rough day. As soon as I got to the lookout, I could smell smoke. Someone had started a small fire, probably accidentally, on one of the ledges and did not completely extinguish it before they left. Campfires are prohibited at this site and it is so dry right now, even a little one can turn into something big. I used half my water to finish it off, something I was not happy to do.


Like I said it was not big, but was burning when I arrived. It was probably just a dropped cigarette or something similar that started it. I did not take many photos today. I did not find anything that interesting and I really wanted to get in and out as quickly as possible due to my lack of water. From the bottom today I watched some young adults climbing down the upper ledges. Not the top, but just below, these areas are not for beginners and a wrong footstep will land you at the bottom.


This was nearly full. I don't know how the Knob doesn't go up in flames every season. I know the PA Game Commission does try hard to police the area and I know they do give out fines often in the summer, but better solutions need to be developed.


I took out three bags of plastics today and a backpack full of cans, two golf clubs and a bike seat. I started to head back to the car around one and I passed a group of young adults who smelled like pot and were drinking on their way up. I will not be going up this weekend. There were to many people up there today and I know the weekends get packed. Will start back up again Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment