Monday, May 11, 2015

Bake Oven Knob: Day 7 (11-May-2015)


Today was difficult. There was a lot of movement of rocks and trash in the main slide since Friday. It exposed buried items, so for the first part of this morning, I combed some of the areas I had already gone over. I then headed down to the lower reaches where things are a little more stable. I think I may be close to finished with plastics tomorrow. There doesn't seem to be as much as I thought. I could be wrong though. I tried a new brand of trash bags today, which ended up creating more work. almost every bag ripped and it really isn't fun cleaning up the same garbage multiple times. 


I was glad I was working on the lower section when I was. There were a good number of people at the top for a Monday and at one point things were thrown over the edge. Even the small items create a chain reaction, a plastic bottle hits a small rock, the small rock hits a larger one and so on. Nothing is stable in the main slide area and the same effect happens pretty much on all sides of the Knob, it's just worse in the one section. I am very glad I am getting close to finished. Before I headed down today I did collect all the bottles I saw at the top. On the way out there were just as many left behind for those who where there while I was collecting. I am struggling to understand why anyone would go to a place like Bake Oven Knob to enjoy the view and just leave trash behind. It is just disrespectful. If you enjoy hiking or nature in general, there should be something inside you telling you it is wrong not to take out what you brought in. If you don't enjoy hiking or nature, why are you there? I just don't get it.


This was the find of the day. In my opinion this is a very poor design for a flashlight, which may be the reason it ended up at the bottom. I have never seen one like this before and I am guessing I never will again. As far as other non-recyclables I took out two more golf clubs and another bunch of spray paint cans. 


This Pink Ladyslipper (Cypripedium acaule) was the best thing I came across today. I do not know much about plants, so I really don't have anything much to say about it. I am completely exhausted and I think the heat has fried my brain so I am ending this post with a spider. Thanks for reading.


1 comment:

  1. Nice job. It takes a person with a big heart and love of nature to do what you are doing. I hope others are inspired by your work. Jeff and I did things like this when we were younger. We cleaned up Kirby Park the day after the 4th of July back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete