Saturday, October 17, 2015

Appalachian Trail (17-Oct-2015)


Back to an Appalachian Trail location I have cleaned up a couple times this year. In my previous trips there wasn't much and if I remember correctly I only collected a backpack full on the last excursions. Today I had a full bag and I know I left a lot. I did have Penny along, so I was limited in the places I could go.


The goal was to clean up a rock outcrop that attracts a lot of people. On the way there trash was sparse, making me think there wouldn't be much out there.


I did stop at a campsite that is often left a mess. For the most part the area around the camp was cleaned, these items were found in heavy brush along the one side of the site. I think this area was probably cleaned by another group. I was only able to get these items because I brought tongs along and they allowed me to reach. 


Nearing the outcrop I kept hearing metal on metal. At first I thought someone might be hammering in tent stakes, the noise kept coming though. As I got closer I could hear talking and realized it was horse shoes. These four guys and their families decided to hike and camps along the trail for a weekend getaway. I have never come across anyone playing horse shoes on the AT and this was a first for me on a hike. If you four read this, thanks for letting me take your photo. I am happy to see families out camping and enjoying nature. 


Every time I go to this outcrop it is harder for me to climb it and now Penny climbs it with no problem. That makes it even harder on me. Even earlier this year I had to help her a lot getting over some of the larger rocks, now she just figures it out and scales them herself.


This can was left upright with contents in it. It did act like a trap and there were at least several dead millipedes in it when I poured it out.


Penny enjoying the sun on a fairly cold day.


Most of the trash was new, but with the tongs I was able to reach these old Miller cans tucked away in a crevice. With being pull tabs I would guess they have been there for about twenty years. 


Most of the newer cans were off of the side of the rock faces and most looked like this. I am sure the porcupines that chew on these to get to the left over contents do not enjoy the aluminum shards in their stomachs. I have mentioned porcupines and cans before, but it has been awhile. I can tell this was done by a porcupine by the size of the tooth imprints and I have found porcupine scat in the area with aluminum shards in it. 


When I first started going to this site there was no graffiti. Now there is new tagging every trip I take to the site. 


How many pieces of trash can you see in this photo?


I just want to know who goes out more than a mile into the woods, sits and strips copper wire. This wasn't in a pile it was scattered like someone really was just sitting up on the rocks and throwing it down one piece at a time.


Most of my time is spent looking down for trash. I was glad I took the time to look up for this view. Going to try to make it back out to this site this week and without Penny. I do think I can fill another bag.

If you enjoy this blog and would like to help it continue into 2016 you can make a contribution at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment