Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Schuylkill River (20-Oct-2015)


The temperatures warmed up letting me get back out on the Schuylkill today. My goal was to finish up the section I had previously been working on. With the five and a half bags I removed today, I did just that. 


What a difference, yesterday there was ice in some of the items I picked up, today it felt like late spring.


Happy this was the last section. This whole bank has seemed endless and at this point I was glad to near an end at least with recyclables. 


The removal of plastic bottles and aluminum cans is just the first step at this site. I really hope that next year I can work out a way to remove everything else.


What an awesome surprise this late in the year. This Spring Peeper was hopping through the garbage. This species is normally not associated with rivers and is generally found near vernal pools and other wetland areas.


I know there is still garbage left behind, but it really is a lot better. 


For this section it was difficult to get back in the branches with a bag so I crawled in and threw the bottles out. For the section you can see in the background I was able to access that by walking around. 


This duck blind was at the end of the point and marked the completion of this site at least for this year. 


Some of the views are nice, but I won't mind not seeing this place for several months. 


I thought this was the coolest find of the day and it still somewhat worked.


Is the item on the left a Sylvester bottle stopper? The item on the right is a blueray copy of The Dirty Dozen. Still in the plastic wrap, it was never opened and I would be interested in the story of how this item came to be in the river.


At this point I asked myself, "So how am I supposed to get back in the boat?". On the way back I dipped my hands in the water and it was freezing. I am so, so happy I am not going back out on the Schuylkill this year.


You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash




1 comment:

  1. The Sylvester is not likely a bottle stopper, but a head pulled out of the rest of a plastic toy. I remember heads like this when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete