Friday, October 30, 2015

Lehigh River (30-Oct-2015)


One full bag today. When I took this end photo I had already discarded some non-recyclables at the trash can near the trailhead. I have some prep work to do for a display for Owl-O-Ween at Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center tomorrow, so I didn't want to stay out too long today. Again the event is open to the public and runs from 10am to 1pm with a live animal presentation at 1. I will be helping with some of the Northampton County Junior Conservation Schools displays. 


Staying somewhat close to home I ended up taking Penny down the D&L Trail just below Lehighton. We have cleaned this area up multiple times this year, but I did want to see how much has accumulated since our last visit.


More trailside items than I expected. Most of the time the trail here is relatively clean and it is mostly riverside items that I take out. Today it ended up being about half and half and I did find a small dumpsite off of the trail that I need to revisit at a later date.


With the rain we have had this week I should have known the river was going to be high, but I didn't even think of that before setting out. Normally this is where I would head down to the riverbank. A bit too much water today.


Not too much further down the trail I was able to find an access down to the bank. The water was apparently much deeper recently and trash was once again deposited here. With the river being so high, most of the trails I would normally take were underwater and it was a rough go picking through some of the thick brush. 


The second message in a bottle I have found this year. First one on the Lehigh. Here is what it had to say:

12/24/2012

Hi, this is Michael and Dana. We live in Lansford PA and always wanted to put a message in a bottle and throw it in the river and see where it went to. So who ever finds this we would appreciate if you will write us back and tell us where you found it, your name and all that kind of stuff. We threw the bottle in the river, the Lehigh River in Lehighton pa.

We are boyfriend and girlfriend Dana is 21 years old. Mike is 24.
Dana is a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan. Mike is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Dana also is a student at Temple University and Mike drives truck.
We are writing this Christmas Eve 2012. 
So we hope you have a merry xmas.

But thats all now when whoever finds this write us both back at.

It also included the mailing addresses for both. In this case I will write back to them. Their message did not make it very far down river in the last couple years.


Penny and I both ended up wet, I know I tried avoiding it, she jumped right in. Because of this though I was able to get some items that I would have just left if I were able to remain dry. I will say it was a cold and unpleasant walk back.


Penny barking at all those who litter, she is sick of having to go with me to clean up their trash or maybe she just wanted a treat. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment