Monday, October 26, 2015

Appalachian Trail (26-Oct-2015)


Came back to the location I did on the 17th. I originally planned to do a road clean-up, but ended up here instead. Collected another bag and because I had Penny with me again I still was unable to get to some of the trash that is up there due to the difficulty of getting to it. So I will be going back to this site again sometime soon. 


The trail out for the most part was clean. I found three cans that looked as though I had just missed them on the last trip. Then I found this...


I have no faith in people anymore. The last time I was at this location I posted about four men playing horse shoes on the AT. I said I was happy to see them and their families out enjoying nature. I was. This ruined that. This is one of their tents that they left behind. I checked my photos and it is even in the background of one of the shots of the men. When I talked to them I asked if they could make sure they take everything out with them that they brought in. They assured me they would. Next time I go up I am going to check to see what is in the tent. If I had to bet I would say it is full of their trash. This is not the first tent I have seen just upright abandoned on this section of trail. I am not happy.


More of the same. These items were new since my last visit. The jug contained multiple dead snails that had been trapped in it.



Penny once again did awesome on the rocks. As always she got bored while I was cleaning up and cried whenever we stopped for more than a couple minutes.


More cans. I didn't have my tongs on me this time and I did find some new spots where trash has been shoved down into crevices. Adding additional items to my to do list.


All from what seems to be a popular trash gap in the rocks. Right after I bagged this up I did have some good news. A man came up the other side of the ledge and was there too, to clean up. It was nice to have some help. He even tossed me the cans he was finding to go to recycling. I did not get his name and he did not want a photo on the blog, but thank you to this individual and to all the others who choose to do the right thing and help keep natural areas the way they belong. 


The leafs are really getting to the end now. Soon close to all of the deciduous trees will be bare. 

I haven't said it in awhile, but if you have any place that you would like to see the trash taken out of in Eastern PA let me know. You can contact me via e-mail at: jrb2765@gmail.com

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment