Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Schuylkill River (14-Oct-2014)


There will not be too many more days I go out on the river this year. The water is cold, leafs are making it hard to see medical waste and there are lots of trails and roadways that need work. In total today four contractor size bags, a hull full, two syringes and an assortment of small unique plastic items.


Last week the portable restroom was taken away from the launch and this week the Fish and Boat Commission removed the docks.  


Paddling down river I did pick a couple items off of the shoreline that I had either previously missed or had recently floated down. Then I found a new place to take out that was close to the area I left off at last time. The above is where I got started today.


Piles upon piles and no matter how much I take out there is still more. 


The third time I have found turtle remains at this location and is another Painted Turtle. 


I wish there was more time in the year. I still need to find an organization that will deal with the non-recyclables once I get them off the river. Because this site is so bad, I will be back next year with a plan to get rid of everything. 


When I got to this point all of my bags and the boat was full. It bothers me so much knowing that I have to leave so much behind. If the weather conditions are okay I will be out again tomorrow working on this. 


My goal in the next week is to get to the small point near the center of this photo. I have not seen beyond it yet, but I am hoping that past it the banks are not too bad to the dam. I do think just because of the curvature of the river here that I will have all of the recyclables removed from the worst areas. 


This shot is just an upriver view towards the launch.


The second syringe of the day. I found this one when taking the full trash bags back to the kayak. Happy it was capped or I might not have seen it. 


Didn't feel that comfortable getting into the boat on the way out. I don't like entering the boat when it is loaded and parallel to the shore, it is not as stable and had to do log hopping to get in.


Downstream view from the middle of the river. 


My view while paddling. 


Interesting items of the day. Even found someones fishing license from 2012. Since when do toy boats come with small trawling motors? 

If you like what I am doing or just reading these posts and would like to see them continue into 2016 you can help out by contributing at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash



No comments:

Post a Comment