Monday, October 19, 2015

Lehigh Canal Park (19-Oct-2015)


When I left today I was not planning on making this stop. Glad I did, Lehigh Canal Park is small, often with a lot of trash.


The main problem for the park is that the northeast extension of the turnpike runs over the upriver end. A lot of trash is thrown over the bridge by drivers and it is quite evident when you get up to the bridge. 


The canal here was low, I was able to walk the bank and get some of the wash up.


When I took this there was no way of getting that bottle. It was just too far out in the canal. I don't like leaving any trash I can see behind, sometimes I can't help it. Luckily on my way back this had drifted closer to the side and is now no longer in the canal.


In addition to what comes off the turnpike, there is also what washes up on the riverbank. The photo on the left is a debris pile and the one on the right is what I picked out of it. 


The walk here is short, still nice, but short. 


From here I went on to Beltzville for three more small clean-ups! That post will be up soon.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help by giving a contribution to help fund this project through 2016 at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment