Friday, October 9, 2015

Schuylkill River (9-Oct-2015)


Had I took the time to look at a weather report before I left, I probably would have went with a different location today. Even with the thunderstorm I still removed four large bags and the back of my hull was also full of plastics. I started paddling strait across to an area I have already picked through. The recent storms must have pushed more bottles and jugs down because I filled my hull before I even got out to pick up where I left off last time.  


Update: Sawfly Larvae. Identified by a friend. I have seen this exact species before, but because of the size Sawfly Larvae didn't even cross my mind.


Before and after. I took out a lot of plastics, yet there is still so much left behind. I do hope to get back to this site next year. All of this needs to be taken care of, I just wish I had somewhere to take the non-recyclables from this site.


First pile of the day.


I was not able to line up this before and after that well. In my defense it had started raining by the time the after was taken. 


One bag was full when I first heard the thunder today. I thought about paddling back to the car before the storm got there, I just couldn't though. It would be a waste to leave before I had a full boat. A light rain started and it just kept coming down harder and harder.


It was at this point I packed my camera away and didn't bring it back out until I was finished.


Ran out of the flex bags, so four contractor bags were it. This is the maximum that will fit in my car. I was soaked at this point and was happy all of the bags were full. Had my fingers crossed it would not be windy on the paddle back.


No wind! The rain was falling strait down. I did pick up two more bottles that must have been dislodged upstream during the downpour. Wet, cold I was ready to take the final photos and get in my car with the heat blasting.


The interesting finds of the day. Two and a half syringes, a river beer I tried to empty, but the tab broke, a plastic golf club head, a plastic hay bale, Two rubber ducks and a kids flathead screwdriver. Lots more was once again left behind. This site just will not end and I haven't even seen the dam here yet. I hope I can get out there at least one more time this year. 

If you like what I am doing with Taking Out the Trash and would like to see it continue into 2016 contributions can be made at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash 


No comments:

Post a Comment