Thursday, October 29, 2015

Lehigh River (29-Oct-2015)


This Saturday I will be helping out with an Owl-O-Ween at Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center/State Park. For my part I am tasked with bringing some items. Yes, trash. The event is open to the public and runs from 10am to 1pm. At one there will also be a live animal demonstration. So, today I went out looking for the only item I need, but did't have. One lovely riverbank tire. 


Everywhere I clean up there are tires. It was kind of hard to decide where to get it from. I only have use for one and currently nowhere to go with any more than that. I decided to go with one from the bank of the Lehigh within the Lehigh Gorge State Park. Taking a tire out of one park for a presentation in another seemed like the best way of doing it. The tire above was perfect. It is large and for the most part the inner portion was empty, there was some water and leafs, but they were easily taken care of. 


It wasn't that far from the riverbank to my car, but there was a steep embankment up to the trail. 


I then spent some time cleaning up on the D&L trail and the road. I did not stay out that long, yet did pick up half a back of recyclables and some other junk.


The trees are just about finished with their fall colors. This is the view across the Nesquehoning Bridge on the D&L.


One large tire of of the banks of the Lehigh and I left it just a tiny bit cleaner today. I would really like to work on getting all of the tires out of at least this portion. Any suggestions on where to go with them would be helpful.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment