Sunday, September 20, 2015

A Week in Recyclables (20-Sept-2015)


This was it for the week. Almost all plastics and close to everything was from the Schuylkill River. This sort and taking all of it down to the recycling center took me around five hours today. I think if in the coming weeks I collect this much it is going to go strait to the recycling center without separating the cans or doing a count.  


In total 2,478 plastic containers and 94 cans. The count did not include the jugs that were breaking apart. They are starting to become a real pain. What I am talking about is the quarter, half and full gallon containers that milk and ice tea come in. They start to photo degrade much faster than all of the other plastics, become brittle and break into lots of sharp tiny pieces. 


This week I did separate out all of the oil containers. There were 55 of those, not including the ones I collected that still had oil in them. I really would like to know the circumstances behind how they made it into the river. I also really want to know if the waste oil from the oil changes went into the river as well.


This was my favorite photo from my hike with Penny in the morning. A Monarch feeding as another one eyes up the same flower.

My next day taking out the trash will probably be on Tuesday. I have several other things that I need to work on tomorrow.

If you enjoy this blog, like what I am doing and would like to see this project continue through 2016, make a contribution at gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash. Together we can make an even bigger difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment