Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Schuylkill River (16-Sept-2015)


The section of bank I have been working on the past several times at the Schuylkill is almost completely clear of recyclables. I say almost, I am sure there are a couple items I missed. This morning I sent an e-mail to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission asking if they would be able to remove trash if I get it to the parking lot near the boat ramp at this location. Hoping to hear back from them in the next couple days. 


It kills me to leave anything behind. If Fish and Boat comes through I will be able to take out what was left behind.


From what I have found at this location I really want to get up and down river from this site. I want to see weather this is how the entire river is or if it is just that the conditions are right specifically at this spot for build-ups of trash. I have a feeling there are a lot of sections on this river that are the same way.


The section I have been working on is a small floodplain area. It goes from a steep bank along the shore down to an access road and effluent pipe. The above was the total I took out of this specific area today and all the additional trash came from a new section below the access road. 


One of the best finds today. Another duck. I think I may have found one of these on every river I have worked on this year. I know I have found more than a few this year.


This little thing was way too happy when I found it. Trash should not smile at you.


The new section. This area went pretty quick and the stretch of bank that was walkable did not last very long. It also had more of these wonderful things...


Three needles total. I was getting tired at this point, so even though I didn't have a full boat of recyclables I decided to call it a day. I did finish up this section of bank, I just wasn't going to get out at another one that might have more needles. Today I did not drop these off at the hospital and they are safely contained in a Gatorade bottle. I am just going to use that as a sharps container until I have a bunch of them. That will save me multiple explanations of why I am trying to hand off needles. Why do people so often do drugs down by the river? This is a problem that needs to be dealt with, there just doesn't seem to be good enough solutions for it.


If you can see the antifreeze container in front of the bags, that was half full. The oil I know where to take now, what can be done with antifreeze?

Would you like to see this blog and the clean-ups continue into 2016? If so please make a contribution at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

1 comment:

  1. "This little thing was way too happy when I found it. Trash should not smile at you."

    This guy is Wallace from "Wallace and Grommet"

    ReplyDelete